Many people can’t get to sleep in a lit room, or in a room with any amount of light. Blackout curtains are the best solution for this, as they can block up to 99% of the light coming from outside, creating a conducive environment to sleep.
The best blackout curtains should be able to cover your entire window, blocking all light from outside, and also insulating the house during warm and cool days. Here are our top five picks (recommendations) for the best blackout curtains.
- NICETOWN Thermal Insulated Grommet Blackout Curtains – 2 Panels
- Best Home Fashion Black Blackout Curtains – Thermal Insulated
- Eclipse 11353052X084BK Fresno Blackout Curtains – Single Panel
- Blackout Room Darkening Curtains Window Panel Drapes
- Deconovo Blackout Curtain Panel – Thermal Insulated
What Differentiates Blackout Curtains?
- Blackout curtains are specially designed window covers made from high-end opaque fabric. They are further reinforced with extra lining to ensure that external light is blocked from the room effectively. They are common in high-end hotel rooms, you probably have seen them.
- Blackout curtains are normally long and wide, and very heavy as well. The curtains can cover the whole window around the windowpanes, leaving little or no space for external light to enter the room.
- You can also reinforce your existing curtains (if you love them that much to dispose of them) to make your own blackout curtains. You only need to add another layer on the existing curtains.
- Blackout curtains can be washed with a machine, so you won’t need to worry about how to clean them.
Who Needs Blackout Curtains?
- Your children need blackout curtains on their bedroom window to prevent them from waking up early before time. There are times when sunlight fills up the whole room before it is time for kids to wake. They also interrupt your morning activities when they wake before time.
- You will need blackout curtains if you live by a busy road where passing vehicles keep flooding your bedroom with their headlights throughout the night. You will also need them if you live in the city with bright lights coming into your room from outside your windows.
- You will also need the blackout curtains if you suffer from a sleep disorder, and so you barely catch sleep during the night, and you would like to sleep during the day.
- Blackout curtains are also ideal for people working during the night and need to sleep during the day.
- If you run a cinema or photography business, you will also need the blackout curtains to block out all the lights from outside to feel the ultimate projection effect.
Benefits of Blackout Curtains
Minimizes Your Energy Bills
The thick material used to make the blackout curtains will help keep the heat around your room during winter and block away direct sunlight during summer. The overall effect is a nice and cool environment you’ll enjoy all year round.
Since you will not need to cool down your room during summer or use excess energy while warming the house during winter, your energy bills will reduce significantly.
If you have an infant, or work during the night and sleep during the day, the blackout curtains will give you the peace you need to catch sleep by reducing the amount of noise coming in into your house through the windows.
The blackout curtains do not just block light from coming into the room, but also from leaving the room. That means that anyone standing on the other side of your bedroom window cannot see what is happening inside, not even a shadow. The strong material used to make the curtains makes this possible.
Improves the Quality of Your Sleep
When you close the blinds in the evening before going to bed, your body and brain start to adjust to sleep mode slowly. And, as it turns out, you need real good darkness to enjoy real quality sleep.
Installing the blackout curtains in your bedroom will bring this total darkness effect that you need to attain a high quality sleep.
They Beautify Your Room.
Apart from the above advantages, blackout curtains will also make your bedroom very beautiful. you will find them in many different styles and colors, and you can combine them with your existing curtains to give your room a super cute finishing.
How to Choose the Best Blackout Curtains
If you want to control light in your room or create some level of privacy, the blackout curtains are your best option. Below are some factors that will help you to decide which blackout curtains best suits your needs.
Controlling Light and Improving Privacy
These are the main reasons why anyone would want to have blackout curtains on their window. Now, the type of the curtains you buy will depend mostly on the location of your home.
If your bedroom is not exposed to light, but your kids’ one is, you can opt to buy much heavier blackout curtains for your kids’ bedroom, and a much lighter one for your bedroom.
Total Darkness Effect
If you want to achieve the 100% light blocking effect, you will opt for true blackout curtains. These ensure that no light can leave or enter your room. The total blackout curtains are ideal for bedrooms and nurseries, as well as cinema halls, and photography rooms where total darkness is needed.
Best Blackout Curtains Reviews
NICETOWN Thermal Insulated Grommet Blackout Curtains – 2 Panels
The NICETOWN curtain features an elegant 2-panel design with each panel measuring 52”x45”. It is made of high-end quality imported polyester material. It is quite effective as it impedes 85-95% of UV rays and can block up to 20% of outside noise.
The silver grommet creates an elegant look in your house and makes it easy to install the curtains. Moreover, these blackout curtains will help you save some money as you won’t need to heat or cool your house, it is coated with smart energy microfiber that helps keep the room at a given level of temperature.
The NICETOWN curtain is also easy to maintain. It is machine washable at a water temperature of 86°F and below, using a mild detergent. You can also iron the curtains at a low temperature.
NOTE: Do not use a bleaching detergent or any sharp object to scratch the curtains.
- They darken the room effectively
- Moderates the room temperature
- Made of high-quality material
- Blocks a significant amount of outside sounds
- The curtains are easy to install
Best Home Fashion Black Blackout Curtains – Thermal Insulated
These high-end 100% polyester blackout curtains from Best Home Fashion features a triple weave fabric design that helps block direct sunlight and UV rays from entering the house. It will help you to minimize your energy bills as it insulates the house from heat and cold.
It is made with high-quality material that helps reduce noise in your house, improve the quality of your sleep due to the moderated room temperature and total darkness, and also regulates energy consumption in your house, helping you save some money.
It features the back tab and rod pocket styles that constitute that versatile styling in your room. It does not have the tiebacks.
It is a duo panel design of 52″ x 63″ each. The two curtain panels are machine washable.
- The curtains can filter up to 99% of light
- Made of high-quality, heavy-duty materials
- They are elegantly designed
- The curtains are easy to install
- Easy to maintain as they’re machine washable
Eclipse 11353052X084BK Fresno Blackout Curtains – Single Panel
The Eclipse Fresno blackout curtain is made from 100% imported polyester material and is capable of blocking up to 99% of light from entering your room. It can also reduce up to 40% of the intrusive noise from entering your house.
The Eclipse Fresno is sold as a single panel of 52″ x 84″, and it can help you to minimize your home cooling and heating costs significantly.
The rich color scheme of wheat beige, dark blue, mushroom tan, black, and espresso brown will improve your home décor in a lovely way; you can install them in any room, and they’ll just be as beautiful. For optimal coverage, you can hang more than one curtain.
- Blocks out 99% of light, making the room extremely dark
- Made of 100% polyester material, making it fairly durable
- The polyester also makes it easy to clean.
- Made with elegant color schemes
Blackout Room Darkening Curtains Window Panel Drapes
Manufactured by Utopia Bedding, the Blackout Room Darkening Curtains are made of two panels of 52”x63” each. They cover a total area of 104″x63″. The curtains come with seven back loops for each panel and two matching tiebacks as a bonus.
It also comes with both loop and rod pocket style for each panel with an inner diameter of 1.6” that fits, making it easy to install. Moreover, the same material used at the back of the front, top, and bottom hem of 4 inches wide, and the side hem of 1 inch, gives the curtain a more elegant look.
Its thermal top makes it efficient in both energy regulation and sound blocking. They can block up to 99% of light and up to 60% of outside noise from entering the house.
The Blackout Room Darkening Curtains can be washed on a machine on cold, and tumble dry on low.
- Insulates the room to block out both light and noise
- Exceptional quality
- They look elegant
- They are easy to clean
Deconovo Black Blackout Curtain Panel – Thermal Insulated
This blackout curtain from Deconovo has uncountable advantages, including quiet environment due to the reduced outside noise, reduced home heating and cooling costs, and peaceful night sleep.
It comes in a single panel package measuring 52″x63″ and eight grommets per panel. The curtains are made of 100% polyester material and come in various solid colors that look extremely elegant on your windows throughout the year.
The thermal insulation makes the Deconovo blackout curtains repel heat from entering the house, and also prevents it from escaping through the window. The curtains can block up to 99% of sunlight any time of the day.
The curtains are silky, soft, drapery and feel very nice when you touch them. Furthermore, their designs and color will look elegant in any room in your house.
The Deconovo blackout curtains are very easy to maintain as they are machine washable.
- Blocks 100% of sunlight
- Made from high-quality material
- Nice looking
- Easy to clean
There it is, a detailed list of five of the best blackout curtains. If I were to order one today, I’d definitely order the NICETOWN Thermal Insulated Grommet Blackout Curtains.
This is a very high-quality blackout curtain that achieves almost everything that I would want from blackout curtains. It perfectly captures the total darkness effect and blocks out a significant amount of noise from entering the house.
It is, therefore, an ideal pick for the bedroom, and also the living room.