How to Get Rid Of Fresh or Old Urine Stains and Smell Out of a Mattress
Children and pets bring much joy when they come into our lives and can instantly transform our houses into homes filled with love, life, and laughter. However, that`s not the only thing they bring. A little bit (or dare I say a lot) of mess tend to follow them wherever they go.
For the kids, it is easier to contain their pee and poop when they are little and still in diapers. But as soon as they outgrow them, it can become hard for some to go a whole night without a chance to pee, and so they end up wetting their beds.
For pets that are still learning to do their business in litter boxes or outside, it gets a titbit gross and smelly when they pee on your carpet. There is a solution to this problem though, and that is what we are here to discuss.
There are different ways of tackling this menace. In this article, we’ll show you how you can do it with three types of solutions: vinegar and baking soda solution, hydrogen peroxide solution, and industrial solutions. First, we’ll show you how to prepare the solutions above and then how to put them into action.
What you will need
- Spray bottle
- Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or medicated soap
- Essential oils
- Hand washing dish soap
- Baking soda
- Protective gloves and eyewear
- Enough warm water
- Vinegar and Baking Soda
Vinegar, water, and Baking soda
Mix equal parts vinegar and water. You can also add a tablespoon of baking soda into this solution or plan to use it much later in the process. Baking soda and vinegar make for a strong and powerful cleaning and deodorizing solution. Use white or pure vinegar instead of the kind that can end up staining rather than helping the situation.
Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful stain remover that can be used to deal with fresh or old blood or urine stains. In urine stains and odor removal, use 3% hydrogen peroxide and spray it directly into the surface: mix 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda and add a drop of dishwashing liquid. You can add a drop of your favorite essential oils such as lavender to help eradicate the bad smell too.
Chemical and Industrial solutions
These include medicated soap and biological washing powder. Organic washing powder and medicated soaps have cleaning enzymes that help remove the stains and deodorize your carpet or mattress. Mix with water and spray directly on the affected surface.
Steps to follow
- Collect all required equipment and substances
- Decide on the substance to use, mix and pour in a spray bottle. Choose a bottle that won`t clog easily
- Test your solution on an inconspicuous part of the mattress to ensure it does not ruin the fabric or cause the colors to run
- If you are dealing with a fresh stain, blot out as much of the urine using a paper towel, a dry piece of cloth or a regular towel
- Spray the solution generously and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Do not pour the solution on the surface for it will mean waiting longer for it to dry out
- After 10 to 15 minutes, use a clean washcloth to blot out any excess liquid. You can set the mattress outside in the sun, place it in a room with good air circulation (e.g., fan) or use a hair drier to dry out the liquid
- Sprinkle baking soda over the wet part and leave until it hardens and cakes up. The baking soda will pull out any remaining odors and vinegar
- Brush off or remove the dried up baking soda out of your mattress using a vacuum cleaner
- If need be, repeat the process, adjusting the substances amount as you see fit until all stains are gone
- If the weather permits, do all the above steps outside in the sun to help speed up the drying and deodorizing process
Word of Caution
Always wear protective glasses for your eyes as mixing up these substances can cause them to fizz. Also, use hand gloves to protect your skin from possible chemical burns
Be gentle as you scrub and remember you can always repeat the process instead of damaging your product by rubbing too much
Vinegar can neutralize odors that may have set for years. Transforming stale odors from carpets and kid`s stained mattresses is possible. Choose between enzymes solutions and natural substances in your kitchen shelves and under the sink for this amazing transformation to create a clean and fresh smelling environment for you and your family.